Saturday 6 October 2012

Lessons from my grandpa.


I've just had my parents and grandparents staying at my home for the last few days and it's been so good. I lost my pa about 1 year ago and have a greater appreciation of every time I get to hang out with grandma and grandpa.
While visiting grandparents for tea is great, it is truly special to be able to have your grandparents stay in your home and spend some real quality time with them. 
I am so grateful that they enjoy visiting (this is their third visit) and I am so thankful to be their grand daughter.
my grandpa, the gardener
I've previously shared my little edible garden attempts and homegrown lettuce but have decided to get down to business even more. My grandpa was excited to teach me about starting my own vegetable garden.
At present I had coriander, parsley, basil, spring onions, celery, lettuce and strawberries and now I can report that I've got a whole little garden on the go.
I've recently planted pok choi, baby spinach, rocket, tomatoes, cucumber, capsicum and onions.
I am so excited at the possibility of actually eating from my garden and hopefully next time my grandparents come to visit, I can delight them with vegetables straight from my crop.
If you're thinking of planting cucumber, here's what my grandpa suggests :
- find a nice sunny spot
- add some potting mix to the soil and then soak in water
- dig little holes and plant each cucumber plant
- water a lot but don't water the leaves
- cover with cardboard boxes for the first few days (especially if you live in a town as sunny as mine), I've also put a rock on top as it's quite windy.
Grandma got snap happy while we planted some cucumber...






















I'm so excited to see what happens but here's how my little cucumber plants are currently looking:
























I'm really looking forward to seeing how the cucumber goes and if I have any success. I've also set up a little dripper system for when we go away/ incase I forget to water them.
What vegies do you grow? 
Lisa x

2 comments:

  1. How fun! I've been wanting to grow a vegetable garden for years now and never succeed lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, i dont know if ill have any success with my vegetables but im excited to have a go. Each day I go check on them and see if they're growing. So far it seems like I'm going to have lots of lettuce! But im hopeful :)

      Delete