Monday 15 April 2013

Racket lover.

This week I'm on holidays and since I just LOVE holidays I thought I'd share with you a few love heart inspired crafts I've been working on. First up...
I scored three old school wooden rackets from a garage sale a few weeks back and decided to give them a bit of a spruce up before displaying them in our home. There's plenty of inspiration on pinterest and I decided to give the racket a bit of embroided excitement. This project seemed super easy but actually took me a while to work to out as I've never really used embroidery floss before and only had a mixed collection of old embroidery floss from a garage sale (as I've mentioned before I live in a small town with no craft stores). I started off but messed it all up a bit as it didn't quite look like the heart I was planning so I patiently pulled it apart and started again.




We had a market in our town over the weekend and I got embrodiery floss in 3 colours for 50c a pop (so $1.50 in total) and began the process of creating a heart shape again. 
I began by counting the width and deciding that the middle was 11 squares in so I began by weaving the middle piece. Then I mirrored the thread out to create a love heart shape. I am very pleased with the end result and I think it will look awesome displayed in our home.




The only other chance I am thinking of making is perhaps painting the red a white or blue colour. However I don't want to take away from the vintage charm of the old school tennis racket. To paint or not to paint? That is the question. What do you think?
Lisa x
P.S I'm linking up with

8 comments:

  1. I reckon keep this one unpainted! It looks great xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I was leaning towards not painting it and think I won't.
      L x

      Delete
  2. Are you kidding me!? Genius! I am working on a tennis themed party and this is perfect

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Totally want one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well if I find another little racket I'll totally make you one :)x

      Delete
  4. So adorable! I love those old rackets and this is such a cool way to decorate it! Would love it if you would link this up to Give Me The Goods Monday: 1 Party, 5 Blogs! http://www.rainonatinroof.com/2013/04/give-me-goods-monday-link-party-4.html
    Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very cute! I love the old school charm of the racket... we have an old waterski like that hung in our living room. I love repainted things but I also love the vintage look of the old ski with its paint wearing off... kind of tells a little story of how it has been used and enjoyed over the years (much like your racket).
    Thanks for coming by The Happy Housie.
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  6. This idea is awesome! It's cute and totally creative and I've never seen it before! Great work! Thanks for sharing it at Monday Funday!

    ReplyDelete