Monday 17 February 2014

File it away.

In my craft room I had a small wooden filing cabinet holding all husband's old documents but wanted to have a bigger filing cabinet so I could have some cabinet draws for myself and teaching documents. Mum had an old filing cabinet in the shed that she wasn't using so I decided to spruce it up a bit and make it perfect for my craft room.
One of my problems with craft projects is that I tend to get carried away starting the project and don't remember to take before photos so the above photo of the filing cabinet draw will just have to do in showing the colour of the cabinet. 
Since I'm pregnant I've been trying to avoid spray paint and I wasn't sure what kind of finish spray paint would have anyway so my mum's mechanic friend kindly offered to give it a quick coat of white car paint for free- what champ! Then for the cabinet drawers I decided to mod podge some fabric on following these great instructions from The Secret life of Samara.
the craft paper template I made up.
Begin by using craft paper to measure the size of the filing cabinet drawers and then cut the fabric you have chosen to size. I used the most bright and cheery fabric I could find in my craft stash.
Then I coated each piece of fabric with a layer of mod podge and waited about 20 mins for it to dry. I dried hard. Once it was dry I added a layer of mod podge to the draw front and attached the material, trimming off some of the excess. To finish it off I then gave the fabric another coat of mod podge and it was done! It took me about 1 hour to finish and cover all the drawers.
Once the drawers were finished I put them back into cabinet and voila, a sparkly new lovely filing cabinet . I am so pleased with how it turned out and am actually looking forward to mod podging some more items around the house. I may have just turned into a mod podge addict!
 Now all that's left to do is to create some cute new drawer labels and continue to organise all my teaching stuff to fit inside the cabinet.
Lisa x
P.s I'm linking up with

3 comments:

  1. I love it Lisa! The white cabinet with the yellow material looks awesome. Who knew a filing cabinet could be such a fun item of furniture to own ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks samara :-) I know, a filing cabinet is one of the most fun pieces I've decorated. I feel the need to mod podge some fabric on some other furniture but haven't quite worked out what yet. L x

      Delete
  2. That is so fun! I might have to attack my boring file cabinet!

    Thanks for linking up with Take it on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete