Friday 27 February 2015

How to organise cards.

I've always been someone who likes everything organised and in its place and I have a box which stores piles of old cards and special notes which I can't bare to part with. However with Henry's birth and the baby shower and dedication, cards were just piling up. I recently read about the idea of not having items that don't spark joy and some people may just throw cards away,  I really treasure them.
I wanted to make sure I kept them in an accessible way so I can refer back to them and keep them together. Too much love and kind words were in these cards to stow them away in the bottom of a box.
After trying several options for organising cards in the past (including gluing cards in notebooks, scrapbooking and using photo albums), I've decided on a favourite way- using hinged rings.
A box of these set me back about $12 from Officeworks but the 30 hinged rings I have should last me through a first, second and third birthdays and then ....30th birthdays.
I used the original invitations as the front covers of the cards and holepunched through them all, before joining the cards using the hinged rings. As we received so many cards when Henry was born that I actually sorted the cards into sizes before hinging them and making three piles. The photo below shows the different books of cards but I haven't shown you the cover invites as they contain personal addresses etc. For Henry's birth cards there was obviously no invitation so I attached a copy of the announcement card we sent out when he was born.


These cards are now stored in a white box on my office shelf- .ready to refer back to if I need a good read and one day Henry and I can read through them together. I will definitely be doing this in the future for when we get cards for other special occasions.
Lisa x
P.s Don't forget to enter the giveaway below, it's still open for a few days :)

5 comments:

  1. That's a sweet idea, it's always hard to know how much of stuff like this to keep! We have a shoe box per family member and anything handmade or special just gets thrown in, not great organisation, but fun to look back through now and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A shoebox still totally works for those really special cards- at least you have a place to keep them :) Thanks for stopping by. L x

      Delete
  2. Love this - I have a huge pile that I need to "something" with x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I save most of my cards too! I love the ring idea and yours look really cute in that basket on the shelf!

    ReplyDelete